For more information, or to schedule an appointment,
please contact Dr. Kalayjian at (201) 941-2266 or email her at DrKalayjian@Meaningfulworld.com.
By Dr. Ani Kalayjian
- Center your eating style around plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits: 60% vegetables, 20% fruits (6 vegetables & 2 fruits), and 20% protein.
- Best vegetables: Greener the better, kale, leafy greens, broccoli, spinach, water chestnuts, string beans, peas, okra, and yellow squash. Better to eat them row in salads, or steam them lightly and then gently sauté in garlic and olive oil.
- Best fruits: Pears, blueberries, peaches, mangoes, papaya, figs, grapes and pineapples. Try not to eat them too close to bed.
- Best Proteins: Soy, chicken, fish (not shell fish), turkey, chickpeas, lentils.
- Be mindful of colors of your food, and try to make it as multicolored as possible, avoiding white food as much as possible. These include: dairy products, especially cheese, white bread, white rice, sugar, white pasta, ice-cream, cookies, cakes.
- Avoid eating late at night; avoid eating 12 hours after waking up, as your digestive system is tired, and you would be uncomfortable sleeping and benefit less from your food.
- Avoid drinking with meals; drink before or after as it will interfere with digestion.
- Chew your food very well as if it is as soft as an apple sauce (work your mouth to benefit from what you eat, instead of your digestive track. Count to make sure that you are chewing around 38 times).
- Sit and eat with comfort and joy, without rushing.
- Drink 8-8oz. of water daily. Upon rising drink luke warm water or hot water with lemon. If you feel tired in the afternoon repeat the same.
- Change your exercise routine intermittently to shock your metabolism, as our bodies get used to the routine and we benefit if we change the routine.
- Spice your food with: Fresh ginger, cardamom, cumin, paprika, mint, oregano, etc.
- Avoid the following COMPLETELY: salt, sugar, fried foods, white flour, and white crackers. Make the whole-grain switch as they are filled with heart protective vitamin E, fiber, & antioxidant phytochemicals.
- Add good fats whether in the form of nuts, olive oil or avocados; this will lower your LDL “bad” cholesterol. Best nuts are almonds, worst are cashews.
- Eat small meals every 3 hours to keep your metabolism active.
- If you have to eat carbohydrates such as rice, bread or potato, separate them from your protein intake. Eat your vegetables with carbs then vegetables with protein.
- Brush your teeth twice a day; floss before bed, & use an antibacterial mouthwash to protect against the ill effect of plaque; this may cause you to have a heart attack.
- Move, sweat, exercise, and stimulate yourself. Walking 3 times a week is essential. Studies show that walking up 2 flights of stairs a day can shave off 6 pounds a year.
- SHHHHH. Silence is golden. We cannot change the world, ONLY ourselves and our response to it. Carve out time for a quiet reflection, meditation, stillness, & decompression.
- Let go of resentments and commit to forgiveness. Release old hurts & practice forgiveness.